Family Marriage Visas

Houston Family Marriage Visas Lawyer

Family marriage visas, also known as spouse or fiancé(e) visas, are designed to help reunite families by allowing a foreign national spouse or fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to legally enter and reside in the United States. If you want to bring your foreign national fiancé(e) or spouse into the U.S., you will need to secure the proper visa through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

AT Maranto Law Firm, we know how vital this issue can be for families. You and your spouse or fiancé(e) will likely want to start your life together in the U.S. However, obtaining these visas is a hurdle you must overcome, and it can be a challenging one. Without the representation of a trusted immigration lawyer, your visa application could be denied based on suspicion of marriage fraud and other issues. 

Our firm has 17 years of practice behind us serving clients in Houston, Galveston, and Southeast Texas. Attorney Rafael Maranto combines a passion to serve with vast experience in U.S. immigration law. He knows what to do and how to do it to help you avoid delays or denials by the USCIS. He will work diligently on your behalf from start to finish.

Contact Maranto Law Firm to book a free initial consultation with our Houston family marriage visa attorney at (855) 961-0601. Hablamos español. 

K-1 Visas (Fiancé(e) Visas)

A K-1 visa allows a foreign national fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. The couple must get married within 90 days of the foreign national's arrival. After the marriage, the foreign spouse can apply for permanent residency (a green card).

Eligibility requirements for a K-1 visa include:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen.
  • Both the petitioner and the foreign fiancé(e) must be free to marry (i.e., single, divorced, or widowed).
  • The couple must have met in person at least once within the last two years before filing the petition (with some exceptions).
  • The couple must prove their intention to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)'s arrival.

Unmarried children under the age of 21 of a foreign national fiancé(e) may also be eligible to come to the U.S. They can be included in the visa petition and may seek permanent residency afterward.

CR-1/IR-1 Visa (Spouse Visa)

A  CR-1/IR-1 visa is designed for the foreign national spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR). This visa allows the foreign spouse to enter the United States as a conditional or immediate relative and eventually apply for a green card. 

Eligibility requirements for a CR-1/IR-1 visa include:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen or an LPR.
  • The couple must be legally married (common-law marriages may be recognized in some cases).
  • The marriage must be bona fide (i.e., entered in good faith, not for immigration purposes).
  • The foreign spouse must meet health and criminal background requirements.

Reasons for Visa Denials

Getting approval for marriage-related visas can be an uphill battle due to the common suspicion by immigration officials that the proposed or current marriage is a fraudulent attempt to secure immigration benefits. Furthermore, mistakes in any facet of your application and case can lead to a denial, after which your foreign fiancé(e) or spouse will not be allowed to live in the U.S. 

Reasons for denial can include:

  • Incomplete or Incorrect Application: A visa application may be denied if it is not filled out completely, accurately, or submitted with the required supporting documentation.
  • Insufficient Financial Support: If the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident petitioner does not meet the minimum income requirements to sponsor their foreign spouse or fiancé(e), the visa application may be denied. In such cases, a joint sponsor who meets the income requirements can help fulfill this criterion.
  • Ineligibility due to Criminal History: A visa application may be denied if the foreign spouse or fiancé(e) has a criminal record that makes him/her ineligible for a visa. Depending on the nature of the offense, obtaining a waiver or providing evidence of rehabilitation may be possible to overcome this issue.
  • Previous Immigration Violations: If the foreign spouse or fiancé(e) has a history of immigration violations, such as overstaying a visa or entering the U.S. illegally, the visa application may be denied. In some cases, a waiver may be available to overcome this.
  • Fraud or Misrepresentation: If evidence of fraud or misrepresentation in the visa application process is found, such as providing false information or entering into a sham marriage, the visa will be denied. 
  • Failure to Prove Bona Fide Relationship: If the couple cannot provide sufficient evidence that their relationship is genuine and not entered into solely for immigration purposes, the visa application may be denied. To overcome this issue, gather and submit substantial evidence of your relationship, such as photos, correspondence, and affidavits from friends and family.
  • Medical Inadmissibility: Certain medical conditions may render the foreign spouse or fiancé(e) inadmissible, leading to visa denial. Depending on the condition, a waiver or proof of treatment may overcome this.

Get Peace of Mind with Help from Maranto Law Firm 

Securing a visa that allows you to bring your fiancé(e) or spouse into the U.S. can be a difficult and complex process. Our firm is here to ensure that your case is handled with the utmost care and diligence to give you the best chance of success. Get the professional guidance you need to give you peace of mind when going through this critical process by working with Maranto Law Firm, an immigration firm you can trust. 

Get in touch with us today. Call (855) 961-0601

Houston's Immigration Attorney The Maranto Law Firm is a Houston based law firm providing help to all those in need.